I recently received my booklist for my York semester. I wanted to share the titles of the books I will be reading while I am in England.
Two of my books are for my British Culture course (the first list), in which we’ll be encountering British culture first-hand: talking to people, visiting museums, and going on general excursions to historic sites.
But most of the books are for my “Tracking British Literature” course (the second list), and we’ll be doing just that. We will read the book and visit the hometowns of the authors or places in their stories that served as settings for their characters.
For my British Culture course I’ll be reading:
- A Traveller’s History of England by Christopher Daniell
- The English Heritage; Volume II: Since 1689 by Frederic Youngs, Jr., Roger Manning, Henry Snyder, and E.A. Reitan
For my British Literature course I’ll be reading:
- William’s Wordsworth, The Major Works: Including the Prelude by William Wordsworth
- The Complete Poems of Samuel Taylor Coleridge by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
- Selected Poems: Tennyson by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- Middlemarch by George Eliot
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
- Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
- The Devil’s Disciple by G.B. Shaw
I’ll try to keep you updated with what book I am currently reading as I am in England. I have great expectations (pun intended) for next semester’s reading list.
Previous post: York Bound
Next post: York St John Modules